One of the key factors when making a move is to select the most suitable box according to the dimensions, weight and fragility of the objects
If a move is stressful in itself, packing up all the things
we've accumulated over the years is more difficult than it sounds. And it is
that it does not only consist of introducing objects and belongings in boxes,
but it requires planning so that everything reaches its destination in its
Choose the type of box
One of the key factors when moving is to select the most appropriate box depending on the dimensions, weight and fragility of the objects that we are going to transport.
In this sense, it is convenient to purchase or rent moving boxes of different sizes and materials (cardboard or plastic), since they must be resistant. Keep in mind that not only will they carry weight, but it is very likely that they will pile up on top of each other during transport.
On the other hand, it is also important that the moving boxes are easy to assemble and thus avoid wasting time when packing.
In addition to moving boxes, some of the materials most common and necessary in a move are:
- Filler material such as bubble wrap, newspaper, polystyrene balls, rags, old towels ...
- Blankets to wrap the bulkiest objects and avoid damage and scratches.
- Adhesive tape to seal the boxes and a dispenser to go faster.
- Labels to list the contents of the boxes. You do not have to limit yourself to indicating only the room to which it belongs, but it is very useful to enter a note detailing everything that has been stored inside.
How to pack each item?
In general, when packing belongings, it is advisable to use blankets to wrap furniture and appliances, keep the heaviest objects in small boxes so that they are more manageable, or store the lighter ones in large boxes, but distribute them evenly. that the heaviest are at the bottom.
As for fragile objects such as mirrors, glasses, plates, etc., they must be individually wrapped using spacers and wrapping them with bubble wrap. It is also advisable to introduce filler material in the interior holes to prevent them from colliding with each other. Jewelry and valuables should be kept in locked boxes and taken with us.
On the other hand, it must be borne in mind that the heavier a box, the more complicated it will be to transport. For this reason, it is recommended not to exceed 20 kg in weight.
Distribute by rooms
Storing the objects by rooms will make it much easier to distribute them in the new home. For this, there are some recommendations to take into account depending on the stay:
- Kitchen: defrost the refrigerator 48 hours before the move and empty the pantry the days before the move. On the other hand, it is not advisable to transport detergents and cleaning products as they can open during transport and spill their contents.
- Living room / dining room: if possible, remove table and chair legs and wrap rugs in plastic or paper. Also, try to store televisions and electronic equipment in their original packaging.
- Bedroom: vacuum-pack bedding and clothing to take up less space.
Get rid of what is not useful
The fewer objects we take with us, the lighter and easier the move will be, so it is a great opportunity to clean up everything that is not needed. You can give it to family or friends who may need it, sell it online or take it to the clean point of the city.
For this, it is best to have a couple of boxes on hand in which to separate what we are not going to take. If there are doubts, you just have to ask yourself how many times that object has been used in the last two years.
Don't leave it for last
Although we think that we only have four things, there can always be unforeseen events that lengthen the packaging process. For this reason, it is important to plan your move in advance.
Ideally, start a week in advance. To do this, start by making an inventory of everything that you are going to take is the most recommended. Then save little by little what is not needed at that time, leaving for the eve of the move the essentials that have been used until now.